What questions should I ask a roofing contractor?
This is a general, overall view of questions you should ask any AZ residential roofing contractor. There are more specific questions you should ask that pertain to your specific roofing project and materials, but without knowing the specifics of your project, it is impossible to know what else you should ask. But I think this list will give you a good start on learning more about your contractor:
1. First and foremost, you need to get your roofing contractor’s license number. The registrar of contractors website, which you could look here posts all complaints filed against that contractor over the last 3 years. It also lists weather the contractor is in good standing, their bond amount, if they have ever been suspended, and when their license expires. The ROC also lists who the Owner and qualifying party is, and how long that contractor has held that license. The ROC has a wealth of information, so it is VERY key to get that license number.
2. I would ask the Phoenix roof contractor about their roofing crews. How long has their crew been working for the company? How many crew members are on the crew? Will the person selling you the services be on site himself daily? If not, who will be there?
3. What kind of warranty are you getting for your project? Is it a “leak free” warranty? Ask to see a sample copy of that company’s warranty.
4. Ask to receive a copy of the contractor’s certificate of liability and workman’s comp insurance. The contractor’s insurance agent should be able to get a copy to you within a day or two of the request.
5. What type of materials are being used on your roof? What is the warranty on the materials?
6. What hours of the day will the crew be working? Do they work Saturdays?
7. How many days do they expect the project to take? What is the start date?
8. What happens if rain is expected?
9. Will the salesman be inspecting the roof after all work is completed?
10. What certifications does the contractor hold?
For example, if it is a Phoenix AZ tile roof they are working on, the Tile Roofing Institute holds special tile roof education programs that contractors and crews can attend to earn their certification. If your contractor holds this certification, you can have more confidence that this contractor believes in continuing education, and goes the extra mile to ensure his customers are getting the best roof possible. Also, it may be possible for you to obtain a longer warranty if they are certified.
11. Does your Arizona roofing contractor belong to any of the roofing industry organizations such as the Arizona Roofing Contractor’s Association, or the National Roofing Contractors Association? A contractor that takes the time and effort to belong to these important organizations is more likely to stay in business, and believes in being an active member of your community.
We believe in educating our customers about how their roof is assembled, and the reasons why it is done a certain way. This is not complete list of questions by any means. But these roofing contractor questions should open up a great line of communication between you and your contractor, and will also lead to you being a very educated consumer on your roof.
4809 E. Thistle Landing, #100
Phoenix, AZ 85044
Office: (602) 400-1635
Email: [email protected]